This is how far I’ve got with building up my cyclocross bike:
Just need to buy some hangers for front and rear brake cables, a wrench or two for the bottom bracket and cranks and get the star nut done and it will be ready to ride. Hopefully should have all but the last of those done by tomorrow. I’ll nip down Woolsey’s of Acton to get the last of those done on Friday morning.
It’s been interesting doing the building for myself. I’ve acquired a whole bunch of tools and realised it is actually not as complicated as I feared. I won’t know how well it has gone until I come to ride it but I’m fairly confident I’ve got most things in the right place. No doubt I’ll be screaming and stamping my feet tomorrow night as I attempt to get the drivetrain to run smoothly.
In the end I have bowed to Brendan’s wisdom and gone with the SRAM Rival groupset. Unlike the Merckx there are no stray Force compenents in the mix this time. The rest of the components have come from the old Giant frame which I’m not quite ready to part with yet and purchases covered by ebaying stuff: