My mum wants to get a bike and she wants me to help her find one. Now that’s a lot more challenging than most requests I get for help with finding a bike.
Seriously struggling to come up with a range of ideas at a suitable price. Seems if you’re small, female and looking for something simple and fun, then the market is pretty thin. Would love any help you readers can offer. Please comment and stick in links to anthing you
The first thing I’ve done is to break down the request to help narrow the options.
- Type of rider: Female, nearing retirement, about 1.50m (5ft) tall
- Reasons for cycling: Exercise, contemplating a cycling holiday next year
- Type of riding planned: Pottering about, nipping to the shops, exercise
- Expected riding surfaces: Canal towpaths, bridleways, road and path. Possibly some light woodland trails. Some areas can be hilly
- Weather conditions: All-year British
So taking that information, I’m trying to break it down into must-have and would-be-nice features.
- Step through frame
- Wide gear range
- Low maintenance
- Fun to ride
- Nice to look at
- Available from the range of bike shops within the Woking area
On the shortlist so far
Charge Lazy Susan – from Evans Cycles
Raleigh Ladies Pioneer Elite 1 – from Raleigh Bikes
Raleigh Oakland – from Evans Cycles
Dawes Street Elite 2010 Women’s Hybrid Bike – from Evans Cycles